Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Week 13: Roanoke, VA to my Hometown in the Pocono Mountains, PA

Leaving Roanoke after a week with Helen and her family was a bit sad because it started feeling “normal” to be there, but it was time to move on.  Since the Blue Ridge Parkway and Shenandoah National Park were still mostly closed for the winter, I drove 430 miles to get to my hometown in the Pocono Mountains on Thursday, 3/20.



Coming Home
It had been 8 years since I was in Pennsylvania, and with friends and family, my childhood log cabin, and a lifetime of memories still there, the emotions grew stronger with each passing mile… especially when I hit the Pennsylvania border.  I drove past the exits for my aunts and uncles, the exit for Penn State Hazleton where my college years started, and the exit that would have taken me to the cabin.  I was heading for Jen’s house; she is one of my closest childhood friends and was kind enough to offer her house as my home base while I was in PA.  As I got closer, the memories of an awesome childhood in the Pocono Mountains brought tears to my eyes and a big smile to my face.


Welcomed site
You can always come home...
I spent years working on the lake... so many great memories!

Jen
Jen and I met in third grade when Vanessa approached me on the playground during recess and told me that Jen Teeter wanted to be my friend.  I had recently stolen her boyfriend and I think this was her ploy to get him back!  Jen had beautiful long, blond hair and blue eyes, and seemed to own the playground so how could I refuse?  That was 34 years ago and in so many ways, she is still that little girl on the playground with her “own it” attitude.  She is also one of the most exceptional friends that has blessed my life and I don’t know what I would do without her.  Jen is one of those friends that will be there and support you no matter what, but will always give it to you straight.  She is authentic in who she is and has the best memory of anyone I know (often reminding me of my own past).  We frequently talk and laugh about how different we are.  She and her husband, Mike, think that I feel too much and I feel that they think too much… it must be the Libra that makes us the perfect balance (she is exactly one week older than me)!


34 years strong!
34 hours strong!
Sunset at the Peifer house

When I left PA eight years ago for Seattle, Jen’s stepdaughter Corine was eight, her son Wyatt was three, and little Eli was three months.  I can’t believe it had been that long since I saw them so when I pulled into their driveway and saw them running out, I was overcome with excitement.  Wyatt and Eli have grown into such cuties and have very different personalities.  Wyatt is serious, sweet and completely dedicated to excelling in sports and Eli is spontaneous, silly and will make the best frat boy ever!  Corine has grown into a beautiful, respectful and generous young woman.  I was thrilled knowing that I would spend a lot of time with them and it didn’t take long to feel like I was home.


Wyatt & Eli showing their true selves
Trooper found a new friend
Oh Eli...  
Eli takes chocolate chip cookies very seriously (the fake glasses were a must)
Corine and Wyatt showing off their skills
Showing Corine how to make stromboli
Job well done!

Most of the week was spent catching up with Jen’s family, trying to put a dent in her wine cabinet (proud to report that we’re doing quite well!), checking out the new family cabin, going to Eli’s cub scout derby and traveling to Wyatt’s basketball tournaments.  These events were great opportunities to be a part of Jen's life, as well as run into old friends and meet their families.  


Eli looking dapper in his cub scouts uniform
Wyatt and Izaiah waiting for their derby cars to race
Wyatt showing jump skills in his basketball tournament 
The family cabin affectionately named "The Mudder"
Michael starting a fire to warm things up a bit (after a few days in the teens)
Trooper's first time on ice... yes, we're holding him upright

Sunday, 3/23, was a perfect day.  Mike’s father took me and the boys to “Bear Camp” (the hunting cabin) to show me the cabin and some trails.  He then left the three of us to play in the woods.  I’ve never put my trust into a 10-year old, but Wyatt was a great hike leader and impressed me with his knowledge of the woods.  We hiked for several hours as they showed me their property.  That evening, Jen’s parents treated us to a delicious meal at Overboard’s Restaurant which is owned by someone who graduated a few years before us.  Mr. & Mrs. Teeter (even after 34 years, I can’t call them by their first names!) have been very good to me for decades and it was wonderful catching up with them after so many years.  I want to thank Mrs. Teeter for taking time to drive me around and show me all the things that have changed over the years… and especially for taking me to my childhood home.


The best hiking guides!
The wonderful Mr & Mrs Teeter and Wyatt at Overboards Restaurant 
Enjoying a great evening out
I went for the Bronzino... odd but delicious!

The Cabin
Losing my mother in 2010 was undeniably the most difficult time in my life.  Being back in my hometown brought a lot of memories and emotions to the surface.  One of the first things I wanted to do was see the log cabin that Mom lived in for 26 years and the house next door that my grandparents lived in as long as I knew them.  My parents built the cabin in 1979 and I still remember taking coffee breaks with Rich Myers and his crew as the logs came together to build our home.  My original plan was to knock on the doors and explain to the current residents who I am and ask to look around.  But when I drove past, I decided against this.  My grandparent's house looked nothing like it used to and our cabin still looked very much the same.  In both cases, my memories of these homes are vivid in my mind and I want to keep them that way.  We moved to Seattle in 2006 to be closer to my brother Nick and sold the cabin.  I miss it very much but cherish growing up in a log cabin in the Pocono Mountains.  There is something very special about this area and growing up here was simply magical.  


The Cabin
Nana & Pop's (completely renovated) with our cabin off to the left

Promised Land State Park
From 2001 to 2006, I was consulting and was able to move back and use my mother’s house as my home base.  During those years, Promised Land State Park was my sanctuary.  When I wasn’t on the road, I would take mom and the dogs to enjoy the seasonal changes and wildlife of Conservation Island.  I picked a beautiful day to revisit one of my favorite places and enjoyed taking Trooper to a place that holds a special place in my heart.  


Signs of Spring are slowing starting to show
T & I enjoying one of my favorite places... Conservation Island
My leg fell through the snow into water for this shot
Let the beach come through!
Sunshine, cold and one of my favorite places... perfect day!

This week was also blessed with good friends who made time in their busy schedules for me... thank you Gatley and Heather!  It was awesome seeing you again!


A night out with our good friend Heather Smergut Bannan... she hasn't changed!
My dear friend Chris Gatley from my years running around Philly

My first week back in my hometown was relaxing, emotional, and fun!  I have to thank Jen and her family for being so welcoming and wonderful.  I have missed you terribly and am cherishing every minute with all of you!  Thank you for making me feel like part of your family... I may not leave :)

Final Thoughts
Since this week was filled with memories and reflection, it made me think of my past, present and future, and this is what came to me... 

Remember the past because it made you who you are,
Look to the future with hope, excitement and a belief in magic,
But be completely present and cherish the moment that is right in front of you... this is called Living.

Thank you & until next time! xoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment