Monday, January 13, 2014

Week 2: Falcone's to Yosemite

Leaving the Pacific Coast Highway, I decided to bail out on Napa/Sonoma (can't justify $20/tasting when one is unemployed), spent a weekend with a great friend in Walnut Creek and then headed to Yosemite where I found love and purpose.


Pacific Highway to Falcone's
Coming off the Pacific Coast Highway was a relief.  I picked it up last Friday (1/3) from Highway 101 in Leggett, CA which is the most northern point to pick up the PCH.  The drive from 101 to the coast (21 miles) was intense with cliffs, tight lanes and switchbacks. Once on the PCH, I was surprised at how much of the northern section was cow country and happy to finally get to the coastline with amazing cliffs and views.  I must admit that after 70 miles, I was ready to head East towards Sonoma.  The Pacific Coast Highway is definitely something to experience; however, if I’m going to be on 15 MPH switchbacks mile after mile, I better be on a killer mountain bike descent or a hike promising amazing vistas, NOT in a 27’ RV where I continually pull over to let people pass the slowpoke!  My plan was to spend time in Sonoma/Napa (thank you for all the recommendations on Facebook), but I decided to push on to Walnut Creek to park PattyWaggin (for free) and hang out with a great friend.  My first week was a lot of driving and it was wonderful to take a break and hang out with Kristen; and of course treat ourselves to great food and beverages.  Love you Krissy! ;)

Three besties hanging out in sunny Walnut Creek!
A very welcomed site into a place that has been on my to-do list for a long time!
Yosemite
Unlike my first week where I felt like a true road warrior, this past week found PattyWaggin parked for 4 days in Yosemite.  Yosemite is one of the most beautiful and awesome places I have been privileged to see.  The granite formations are incredible and no matter where you look, there is a beauty surrounding you.  Imagine walking around with granite cliffs reaching 7,000 - 9,000 feet. The drive into the park was interesting and sad; the rim fire that occurred last summer left a dramatic mark and has caused a lot of the wilderness to be closed.  
Yosemite Rim going into the park with visible fire damage

My view of the fire damage driving into the park

Many areas are closed due to the fire and possible hazards
Damaged trees; I'm assuming the sandy colored material is some form of fire retardant 
Campsite and Mirror Lake
I pulled into Yosemite Valley (a very small piece of the park, but the most commercialized and accessible this time of year) around 3pm on Monday (1/6) and was able to hike 2.5 miles to Mirror Lake before dark.  

Snowman greeting us but in desperate need of more snow
Mirror Lake 
T enjoying some blanket time next to the food storage bin (mandatory to keep the bears from breaking into vehicles; fortunately, RV's are exempt as long as food is securely stored)
Valley Floor
The next day, Trooper and I walked the valley floor (10 miles) taking close to 200 photos.  Like many National Parks, dogs are only allowed on pavement and fortunately, they have done a great job making Yosemite Valley accessible with walking and bike paths.  I was fortunate to visit this time of year because apparently in peak summer season, 20,000 people will be in the valley!  There were maybe 15 campers in the only open campground (Upper Pines) and I saw only a few people during my hikes.  I imagine peak season is a nightmare, but that would be the time to head to the high country with a backpack and tent, and stay out of the valley. 

North Dome & Half Dome
Heading out on a cold morning with North Dome & Half Dome in the background
North Dome (left) & Half Dome (right) with the sun setting
Sun setting on Half Dome (no, it was never a full dome)
Half Dome from afar
North Dome with the sun setting
North Dome with a sepia setting
T with a sepia setting under the North Dome
North Dome from across the valley floor
 El Capitan
First sighting of El Capitan through the woods
 This picture doesn't do El Capitan's massive granite face and size justice.  The granite monolith is 3,000 feet from base to summit; it's spectacular and sought out by climbers around the world
Black & white makes everything look better
Closeup of El Capitan face
Random Photos
T & I creekside heading out for an all day hike 
My favorite - Sentinel Peak
Three Brothers Peaks
Trooper cleaning off his dirty paws!
Deer family... thankfully Trooper was on leash
Inside View of Yosemite
Last week when I was hiking Patricks Point State Park (Northern CA), I met a girl who knew someone at Yosemite.  I contacted Dennis and was blessed to spend my third day with someone who has worked in the park for close to 30 years!  He took Trooper and I on several hidden hikes and gave me a tour of the lodges and visitor center.  I owe Dennis a HUGE thank you for spending time with me and sharing such amazing knowledge of the park.  I was sad leaving Yosemite, but know that I will return. Yosemite is truly a magical place and I encourage everyone to put it on their list of must see’s… just not during peak season.

My new friend Dennis at a hidden lunch spot above the valley tree line
Me in my element :)

Dennis teaching me bouldering and me sucking at it (I'm blaming old hiking boots)
Bridal Veil Falls
T in his element
Pure Bliss
Reason for pure bliss; a little toast over Bridal Veil Falls
Rock slide with El Capitan in the background 
Half Dome - last night in Yosemite - moonlit stroll - heaven

Final Thoughts
I’m surprised how much this way of life feels “normal” after a very short amount of time.  I am starting to feel like an aspiring travel photographer/blogger with corporate america so far removed.  It was in Yosemite that I realized this journey is exactly what I’m meant to be doing; any doubts or fear are gone.  I have no idea where it will lead, but it is undeniably my purpose right now.  I think Trooper is settling very nicely into our new lives on the road.  Enjoy and until next time...


1 comment:

  1. Yosemite looks amazing! I like how you're filling your trip with mini-adventures as you try new things like bouldering. This new lifestyle is coming to you so easy you might never go back to working. :^)

    ReplyDelete