Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Week 11: Evans, GA to Granite Falls, NC

I left Becky’s house in Evans, GA Monday 3/3 and decided to head into the mountains.  It was a busy week with stops at Devils Fork State Park, the Great Smoky Mountains, Asheville, Appalachian Ski Area, Boone, and Granite Falls, NC.  I added 400 miles and fell in love with the mountains of North Carolina.



Devils Fork State Park, SC
I wanted to spend time in the northwest corner of South Carolina before crossing into North Carolina.  Devils Fork State Park was a 3-hour drive from Becky’s and is located on Lake Jocassee close to the borders of GA, SC and NC.  Shortly after arriving, Trooper and I set out on a hike to check things out.  It was a windy and brisk day, and Trooper and I had the entire campground to ourselves.  The area reminded me of the woods in Pennsylvania where I grew up, so I couldn’t help but get a little emotional (and excited about my upcoming stay in PA).  I spent two days hiking, catching up on writing and photographs, and simply enjoying the woods.
All alone at Devils Fork State Park
Lake Jocassee
T & I enjoying a walk after setting up camp
Day 2 hike around the lake

Great Smoky Mountains, NC
After two days at the state park, it was time to cross into North Carolina.  Devils Fork was two hours from the south entrance of the Great Smoky Mountains near Cherokee, NC and I decided that would be a great place for the night.  When I lived in Ohio, I spent quite a bit of time in the Smoky Mountains so it was nice to visit again.  Since dogs are restricted in National Parks, we were limited to a short 3 mile hike along the river at the Oconaluftee Visitors Center.  We spent the night at the Smokemont campground with several other campers and enjoyed a delicious steak dinner.  There is something about camping and food; everything tastes better in the woods!  
Another great National Park!
T enjoying the Oconaluftee River Trail
Nice photo spot along the river
A beautiful day in the Smoky Mountains!
Nice camp spot for the evening 
Prepping a great dinner
The only wildlife I spotted were wild turkeys

North Carolina Mountains
Thursday, 3/6 was a busy day with waking up in the Smoky Mountains, having lunch in Asheville, NC and hunkering down at Appalachian Ski Area to wait out a snowstorm.  I was thrilled to find a ski area with RV hookups; where better to be stuck in a snowstorm?  Asheville was a good midway point for Trooper and I to walk around for a couple of hours and grab a bite to eat before heading north on highway 321.  The drive took me through Maggie Valley and Blowing Rock which are two adorable towns that welcomed me to the mountains.  
View en route to the NC mountains
Lunch spot in Pack Square Park in Asheville, NC

Appalachian Ski Area
We arrived at the ski area just in time for the first snowflakes to start falling.  Camping out in a ski area was a very cool experience.  The ski area is open until 10pm so I made hot cocoa, turned off the lights in the RV and enjoyed hours of watching the snowfall.  The next morning we woke up to 6” of fresh powder and both Trooper and I were ecstatic!  App Ski Area is undeniably the smallest mountain I have ever skied with 12 runs (the longest being 1/2 mile) and a whopping vertical drop of 365’.  But none of this mattered; we were in the snow.  I skied for four hours and made a game of seeing how many runs I could make (I lost count somewhere after 25).  While I was skiing, I received a Facebook message from my cousin Steve who I hadn’t seen in 13 years.  He invited me to his 30-acre farm in Granite Falls, NC which was 30 minutes south of where I was.   I was thrilled at this spur of the moment invite and excited to see my cousin after so many years!
Made it in time for the snow to fall
T in his element!
Waking up to fresh powder and it was still snowing
The Blizzards finally out of the storage compartment
Apres ski in the RV
T chillin' at sunset
Loving life
Boone, NC
Since I was close to Boone and heard many good things about it, I woke up early Saturday, 3/8 to spend the morning walking around town before heading south to my cousin's house.  Boone quickly became one of my favorite spots.  It is a great mountain town, close to several NC ski areas, and home to Appalachian State University.  Trooper and I walked around for a few hours and based on recommendations, stopped at Mast General Store and Sticky Boy Bread Company for a mocha and sticky bun.
The Greenway Trail in Boone
Enjoying an early morning walk 
A gooey and delicious treat from Sticky Boy Bread Company
T making a new friend outside Mast General Store

Granite Falls, NC
It took one hour to get from Boone to my cousin’s place in Granite Falls, NC.  Granite Falls is home to approximately 4,700 people and is located just north of Hickory, NC.  The farm was a great place to park the RV for a few days and my cousin and his partner Inma were incredible hosts!   Steve is my father’s nephew and despite many years with little communication, we immediately fell into cousinly conversations.  We caught up on each other and our families, and he gave me a tour of the farm, including meeting their 6 dogs and numerous cat rescue barns.  It was a happy day to see my cousin and see how well he is doing.  When Inma got home, we quickly bonded over our love for animals, food and family.  She is from Spain and owns her own business in interior design and furniture manufacturing.  Steve’s son, Jack, came over Saturday night to join the festivities.  The last time I saw Jack he was three and now he is a handsome, well-mannered, and tall 16-year old. 
Beautiful farmhouse and great spot for a few days
T getting the lay of the land
Saturday night's appetizer spread
Chef Steve and Sous Chef Jack
Salmon, shrimp, bacon-wrapped scallops (and you all know how I feel about bacon), and grilled veggies make an amazing welcome dinner!
The family (including Trooper looking on)
Trooper found a new friend in Jack 
Stand-off over breakfast

Sunday, 3/9 was sunny and warm, so we spent much of the day working outside.  Later in the day, Inma took me on a tour of Hickory and her furniture shop.  I was so inspired by her.  The passion she has for what she does and the dedication to be her own boss was energizing.  This stop was not planned, but I’m so thankful that Steve reached out.  I sincerely thank him and Inma for opening their beautiful farm to Trooper and I, and for spoiling us with their warmth and generosity!

Inma teaching T how to fetch 
Our last full day together
Inma and her shop... amazing!
I could spend hours in a place like this
One of my favorite pieces.. a tree root
Steve teaching Inma how to use a chainsaw
Me getting my hands dirty
Happy Hour begins with a crown royal & coke and new herb garden
Trooper with a new friend
Shane and Poppy
Some puppy love before dinner
Inma making her special meatballs
A delicious and hearty meal after a great day with family!

Final Thoughts
After such a random and fun week, I'm going to quote the March 3rd entry from a book given to me by Jen Giuntini and Kim Vandewater...

Treasure Your Experiences:
Gather experiences.  Treat them as precious jewels.  The purpose of the journey is not to guard and restrain yourself.  The purpose is to learn.  You do not teach and lead your soul.  Your soul leads and teaches you.  It takes you wading across streams, strolling through meadows, deep into valleys, and high onto mountaintops.  Let yourself have all your experiences.  Don't limit or judge yourself or the adventures you have had.  All were necessary, all were important, all have helped shape and form you.  Your heart will lead you, guide you where you are to go.  Don't worry about getting lost or off track.  Don't worry about being wrong, or in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Having experiences is called living.
Sharing experiences is called loving.
Let yourself enjoy both.




1 comment:

  1. Memories! You are in my part of the world -- used to spend many weekends on Lake Jocassee!
    Looks like an amazing trip! Amazing! Xxoo

    ReplyDelete