Monday, March 3, 2014

Week 9: Naples, FL to Savannah, GA

My original plan was to spend a week in Naples with Vanessa then head south to Key West; however, peak season rates, limited availability, and heat and humidity led me to the decision to head back north.  I made a few stops along the way before crossing the Georgia border and saying goodbye to Florida.  In total, I added 640 miles to my journey.




Manatee Springs
After leaving Naples on Monday, 2/17 I stopped at Manatee Springs State Park en route to my father’s house.  I was hoping the woods and natural spring would offer cool relief from the heat.  Manatee Springs is a great state park located on the Suwannee River which dumps into the Gulf.  Trooper and I stayed for two days hiking, writing and enjoying the woods.  I never saw a manatee but enjoyed the time relaxing in nature.  I was tempted to swim in the spring since many other campers were, but after hearing someone yell about a snake behind one of the swimmers, I decided it was best to stay on land.

Ah... waking up in the woods!
T & I after a long hike and him cooling off in the spring
Suwannee River
Looking back at Manatee Springs from the Suwannee River
T at the spring
A hawk looking for dinner
Female Cardinal hanging around the campsite
Male Cardinal also at the campsite


Gators
I left Manatee Springs on Wednesday, 2/19 to spend a few more days with Dad before leaving Florida.  It was a relaxing few days but as each day passed, I felt the sadness of our upcoming goodbyes.  On Monday, 2/24 we went to La-Chua Trail at Paines Prairie outside Gainesville.  It is known for gators sunning themselves along the path.  Apparently, “they” are confident the gators are harmless during the day when they’re absorbing the sun; however, it’s difficult to describe how unnerving it is to be within 10 feet of such intimidating creatures.  Dad and I left the dogs at home and spent a few hours walking around enjoying the abundance of wildlife and laughing nervously at the gators literally at our feet.

Interesting welcome sign!
Courageous bird
Gator closeup
Love this sign!  And we made sure to leave before dusk.
The Great Heron, one of my favorite birds
A White Ibis and Coot
Snowy Egret
Beautiful but intimidating!
Baby gator but still intimidating
Dad & I taking a break
Red-winged Blackbird
Dinner? 
A Green Heron
As we were leaving, the gators were becoming more active
Daring Dad!
Spanish Moss closeup

Leaving Florida
Dad and I said goodbye on Tuesday, 2/25 and I headed east to Crescent Beach on the Atlantic Coast.  I wanted to get to the Atlantic Ocean and Crescent is one of the few beaches that permits dogs.  It took about 2 hours to get there and what a great stop!  The sun was warm, the water cool and the sand perfectly white and soft.  We walked the beach for a few hours before heading north to cross into Georgia and see what Savannah is all about... but that will have to wait for the next post.

Saying goodbye :(
T & I enjoying Crescent Beach
Beautiful last stop in Florida!
Soaking it in

Final Thoughts
I left Seattle 60 days ago and am in awe of all I have seen and experienced in two short months.  The first month was filled with a lot of driving and sight-seeing while the second month was in Florida relaxing and reconnecting with loved ones.  I’m excited to get back on the road, explore the East Coast, and visit more friends and family.  The experiences that I am having and memories I am gaining are priceless and I am humbled and grateful to continue my journey.  A special thank you to Dad and Carol for letting Trooper and I invade your space for so long.  I cherish our time together and look forward to RVing it in the near future!

One last key lime pie and mocha at Kona Joe's in Cedar Key
Trooper will miss the delicious Casto dinners!
  

Until next time... 


2 comments:

  1. I love the wildlife in Florida. Nature is simply amazing!
    Syl

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this post!!! Thank you for reminding us all to take step back from the hectic chaos in life, and create memories with the ones who matter the most to us :-) I do miss our chats, but couldn't be happier for you! Your journey inspires me as a growing young lady xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete