Friday, May 2, 2014

Week 16: Milford, NJ to the Grand Canyon (of PA)

After several weeks with friends and busy schedules, it was time to head to the woods and explore parts of Pennsylvania I had enjoyed in the past and parts I had never been.  


Ricketts Glen State Park
After a fun weekend in Milford, I headed northwest on Monday 4/14 to visit Ricketts Glen State Park known for its 20+ waterfalls.  I hiked “Falls Trail” a long time ago and was excited to see it with all the melting snow.  Unfortunately, after arriving I was told that Falls Trail was closed unless I registered as an ice climber with crampons and axe.  Apparently, much of the trail was still covered in a few feet of ice making it hazardous to the average hiker and in this case, me.  Trooper and I made the best out of Monday afternoon by hiking beach trail and setting up camp.  The next day, Tuesday 4/15, I awoke to a relentless downpour that didn’t let up until 4pm when it switched over to ice and snow.  Trooper and I spent the entire day cooped up in the RV.  As much as I enjoyed finishing my novel (great memoir titled “All Over the Map” by Laura Fraser) and a nap (or two), being confined in 170 square feet for 24 hours started getting to me. The temps dropped quickly and by Wednesday morning, it was 20 degrees with a couple inches of snow on the ground.  Luckily, the weather system left beautiful blue skies allowing the sun to give warmth and welcome to a new day.  Trooper and I were happy to get outside and hiked 7.5 miles on Grand View and Old Beaver Dam Road trails.  Parts of the trail looked more like a creek than path leading to creative diversions and a very wet and muddy pup.

Rain switching over to snow... April camping in PA!
Enjoying sun and fresh air after 24 hours in the RV
Juxtaposition 
Trail or Creek?

Grand Canyon of PA
On Thursday, 4/17, I headed north on highway 487 to pick up route 6 West, a scenic highway running through the northern part of Pennsylvania from the Ohio border to New York.  The road meandered through "God’s Country" landscapes and into quaint towns like Troy and Wellsboro.  I was making my way to the Grand Canyon of PA located in the north central part of the state; a place I never visited (or even heard of) in all my years living here.  The Grand Canyon is part of Pine Creek Gorge, which is 47 miles long and 1,000 feet deep.  I pulled into Canyon Country RV Park owned by Jim and his beautiful silver lab Misty.  Jim recommended a path through the woods that would lead to Leonard Harrison State Park and the Grand Canyon.  He convinced me to purchase a $3 ticket to climb a fire tower located en route.  The tower was originally located in Valley Forge, PA but purchased by a private owner who now charges to climb it; since the proceeds go to a local animal shelter, I was happy to spend the small amount.  Even though the setup was questionable (and creepy) with an old RV as the ticket office and barbed wire around the entrance, I decided to get my $3 worth.  Trooper was uncertain of what was happening, especially as I climbed higher.  The fire tower isn’t in the best shape, but I climbed 120 steps to get above the tree line and enjoy sweeping views of the countryside.  After a few minutes and some photos, I made my way down and we continued our hike to the Grand Canyon.  The trail from rim to valley was also closed due to ice, so we walked around the eastern rim for a while taking in the views.  It doesn’t quite compare to THE Grand Canyon, but earns its name and provides a beautiful area to explore.

Yep, I climbed the creepy tower in the middle of the woods
Not a bad view from the top
God's Country
Pennsylvania's Grand Canyon looking south
Looking north
A tired dog is a good dog!

The next day I headed back into Wellsboro for gas and coffee.  Wellsboro is a great little town and if you’re there, I recommend Wired Rooster for a good cup of coffee.  I drove south on highway 287 into the small town of Morris where I picked up route 441 and headed south along the creek (more like a river).  The road transitions from one side of the creek to the other and has several access areas to stop and watch the locals fish or walk the Pine Creek Rail Trail.  The trail was voted one of the “10 great places to take a bike tour” by USA Today.  We walked 4 miles before finding a spot next to the water for lunch and conversation with Tim and Robin.  They invited me to spend the night at their campsite, but I was looking forward to checking out Little Pine Creek State Park, so we said our goodbyes and continued south.  


Route 441 makes the Pacific Coast Highway look like child's play!
Pine Creek Trail System
A mother teaching her son the basics of fly fishing
T enjoying a great day
So majestic
Drool = waiting patiently for lunch

Little Pine Creek State Park is located at the southern end of Pine Creek Gorge and was surprisingly full of campers (until I remembered it was Good Friday).  We set up camp, walked around the park and chatted with the park ranger on hiking recommendations.  Early Saturday morning, Trooper and I headed out on Panther Run Trail based on Jackie’s recommendation.  It was warm and sunny, and the hike offered a good climb, nice views, and unique rock formations.  After returning to the campsite, we enjoyed the hamburgers Jackie gave us (actually gave Trooper, but who can pass up a homemade hamburger after a long hike?).  

Litte Pine Creek campsite
Beautiful beginning to Panther Run Trail 
Which way to go???
Everything loves the Spring Sun
One of Panther Run's many interesting rock formations 
Another cool rock to check out
Waiting for salmon?

Final Thoughts
Wing It and See Where the Road Takes You.  When I decided it was time to head to the woods for a week, I looked at a state park map and discovered north central Pennsylvania is filled with state forests and parks, including a place called the “Grand Canyon”.  As I made my way, each day opened up unexpectedly with random conversations, knowledgable recommendations, and “winging it”.  I truly enjoyed a week that unfolded perfectly and highly recommend exploring your own backyard; you may be delightfully surprised.

Thanks and until next time...




1 comment:

  1. did T ever catch a salmon? HAHA It would have scared him to death if he did! "NOW what do I do with this!"

    ReplyDelete