Friday, May 9, 2014

Week 17: Grand Canyon (of PA) to Penn State Territory

One week exploring the forests of north central PA created an ideal opportunity to travel to the center of the state and visit my Alma Mater, as well as my aunts and uncles.



WE ARE… PENN STATE!
The next stop in my travels was my beloved alma mater to meet Jen and the boys for an Easter Sunday PSU baseball game.  I left Pine Creek Gorge on Saturday, 4/19 to make my way into State College to figure out where to park the RV for the night and the next day’s game.  The day was warm and sunny making the drive into Penn State filled with memories of walking the massive campus in shorts and flip-flops so long ago.  It’s hard to believe that my college days were 20 years ago.  Even though the football parking lots were empty and right next to the baseball stadium, the Visitor's Center strongly recommended not parking there.  Their recommendation?  WalMart.  This was the second time in my four month journey that I spent an evening in a WalMart parking lot and I must write that the second time was just as unsettling and restless as the first.  I woke up at 6:30 a.m. on Easter Sunday with glasses and pajamas still on, hopped in the driver's seat and headed to the baseball stadium.  It was a magnificent morning so after our routine, Trooper and I headed out to explore my old stomping ground.  The campus was bigger than I remember (or I’m just slower) and a lot has changed in 20 years with new buildings, more sports arenas and students looking too young to be in college.  College Ave, which separates the campus from the town, still looks the same and I knew not much had changed when I passed a few vomit piles… ah, college memories (don’t worry, I didn’t take a photo).

Early morning at the stadium
The welcome wall where it is tradition for grads to get photos with their well-earned cap and gown
THE Nittany Lion
Old Main on a gorgeous spring day
Beaver Stadium, the 4th largest stadium in the world with capacity for 105,000 (and one of the loudest!)
Closeup

After a few hours, I met Jen and the boys back at the RV and we headed into the stadium to watch the game.  The Peifer’s are huge baseball fans (insane Dodgers fan, which is also the name of both Wyatt's and Eli's baseball teams) and it was a quintessential baseball day with clear skies, roasted peanuts and devoted fans.  After the game, we were hoping to have an early dinner at Ye Olde College Diner; famous for their sticky buns and one of my favorite places.  Unfortunately, they were closed due to the holiday but we lucked out by eating at The Corner Room who offers the sticky buns on their dessert menu!  If you visit Penn State, you must stop at Ye Olde and I highly recommend the “ala mode” version!

Me and the Peifer boys
The beautiful Peifer family
Besties
A staple from my college days (and resulting "freshman 15")

Family Time
After a great day at PSU, I drove along the Susquehanna River to my Uncle Dennis and Aunt Karen’s house in Seven Stars, PA.  Dennis is my mother’s youngest brother and also a PSU alum.  We spent years tailgating at the football games when I was a student and many years after that with season tickets.  Seven Stars is so small that it is not included in the Juniata County Census but trust me, it’s small.  There is no gas station, no food stores, and not a lot to do.  But it is God’s Country.  Mile after mile of rolling hills, wheat fields, and beautiful farmhouses help your shoulders relax and your pace slow down.  We spent the week catching up, laughing and crying over memories and loved ones who have passed, and visiting some local favorites.  

The Susquehanna River at 464 miles is the longest East Coast river that drains into the Atlantic Ocean
God's Country
God's Country traffic jam
Typical barn setting
Hanging out at Meiserville Inn
T waiting not so patiently outside after the owner gave him bacon
Speaking of bacon... teaching T a new trick
And trying to keep him separated from the baby skunk that doesn't know any better
Uncle Dennis teaching T how to play ball
Hanging out at the local American Legion
T's new bling bracelet

We spent Friday, 4/25 at the nearby Little Buffalo State Park.  The park has the typical recreation amenities (lake, hiking trails, etc.) and is also a historical destination with a covered bridge and restored and operating gristmill.  For those of you wondering what that is, gristmills were used to grind grain into flour (and believed to date back to 17 BC).

Beautiful spring day for a little hike
Brilliant blue skies
T & I playing around
April showers = May flowers
Nature's perfection
Family portrait
Restored covered bridge
The gristmill
Ready for lunch!

My aunt and uncle met when she was modeling for Calvin Klein and he was a musician.  My childhood memories of them are filled with fun, craziness, and all the details that made holidays at my grandparents house some of my favorite moments.  I remember sitting on my uncle’s lap “driving” his truck on the interstate at a very young age (remember those days of no seat belts, no car seats, and no rules?) and going to Formula One races in Indianapolis.  And many of my recipes are from my aunt who can still cook the best spaetzle and stromboli you’ll ever taste.  Spending a week with these two was wonderful and emotional, and I cherished every minute.  Thank you Auntie Karen and Uncle Denny... I love you very, very much!!

T enjoying the fresh country air
Love in the backseat
Love in the front seat

On my way back to the Pocono’s on Sunday 4/27 (happy birthday big bro!), I stopped at my mother’s oldest brother’s house.  I was thrilled to see that Uncle Bobby and Aunt Gloria invited my cousins for a cookout.  Over the years, our lives took us down diverging paths but this day proved that family is always family.  Everyone looked so much the same and are all doing very well.  Seeing my cousins Tricia and Terry and their families was a highlight.  Tricia’s kids were more impressed with my RV and Trooper but that seems to be the norm.  I’m grateful for this opportunity to reconnect with my family.  Thank you all for a wonderful day… I love you!

The lovely Machemer family


Final Thoughts
Family.  Spending time with my mother's brothers reminded me that the family bond is always there, no matter the distance or time that goes by.  Growing up in a small family made me always consider my close friends as part of my family.  Regardless of whether someone is blood-related or not, family (and time with them) is one of the most important elements in life.  I have been fortunate to be blessed with amazing people and I'm incredibly grateful for the opportunity to reconnect and remind myself of the important things.  To all of you who are part of my family, thank you and much love!

Until next time...


1 comment: