Monday, September 22, 2014

Week 36: Tetons to Telluride

This week was a whirlwind through three states, colorful canyons and a huge range of temperatures and landscapes.  From the dry, hot and exposed high desert of northeast Utah to the evergreens and coolness of the western Colorado Rockies, I was once again in awe of the breathtaking beauty I was fortunate enough to explore.




Flaming Gorge, Wyoming
After a beautiful morning taking my last photos of the Tetons and enjoying the first day of September, I headed south on highway 191.  Don and Linda (fellow campers in Jackson) recommended the Flaming Gorge area as a must see since I was headed in that direction.  The drive out of Bridger-Teton National Forest quickly became hot and dry.  

Clearly not in Jackson Hole anymore 

The Flaming Gorge area straddles southwest Wyoming and northeast Utah.  It is an impressive and colorful landscape, and felt like a mix of Death Valley and the Grand Canyon.  I was hoping to stay the night boondocking next to the reservoir, but it was incredibly hot and windy so after a quick lunch, we continued south.

Driving into the Flaming Gorge area

Lunch spot next to the reservior

Beautiful colors of the gorge


Red Rock Canyon, Utah
We crossed into Utah and picked up highway 44 through Red Rock Canyon.  The road became steep with one switchback and jaw-dropping view after another.  I found a national forest road and since it was late afternoon, decided to pull in and camp for the night.  The Red Rock Canyon offered trees and much cooler temps than Flaming Gorge, so we went for a hike and enjoyed a very dark and quiet evening somewhere in Utah’s Ashley National Forest.

Only 9 more switch backs!

Boondocking at its best

View from our campsite

Waiting patiently for wildlife


Grand Junction, CO
Tuesday morning, 9/2 we left the quiet and cool of northeast Utah and drove 139 south into Grand Junction, CO.  The red rock canyons with hints of the rockies in the distance offered a scenic drive, but it was hot… and I mean HOT!  I stopped at the Ford dealership hoping for an oil change but they were booked for several days and suggested Scotty’s on the other side of town.  Fortunately, they fit me in and PattyWaggin received a well-deserved tune-up (last one so long ago in Maine).  I pulled into Junction West RV Park for the night to hook into electric and try to cool off; it was over 90 degrees and too hot for my liking (and certainly for Trooper’s).

Why I stay away from RV parks


Telluride, CO
When I took Trooper outside Wednesday morning, 9/3 at 7:15 a.m., it was already warm so I didn’t waste much time packing us up and heading to the mountains for some relief.  In the past, I skied several places in the heart of the Colorado Rockies so I wanted to explore the west side of the mountains and keep traversing 10,000’ mountain passes to a minimum.  I drove highways 50 east, 550 south, 62 west, and 145 east to get to the magical town of Telluride.  I have heard many great things about this off-the-beaten-path town and it was all validated shortly after arriving.  It is not easy to get to and the 16-mile drive off highway 145 ends in a box canyon.  The town is home to approximately 2,500 locals and countless big dogs running around off-leash.  Unlike every other town I have visited that has leash laws, Telluride is unusually dog-friendly with a “voice command” law.  It felt more like a large off-leash dog park with a town in the middle than the highly praised ski town.  There is a municipal campground located in Town Park that gave us great access to all the town has to offer without moving the RV.  With the ability to ski right into the town, a gondola that allows dogs, and jaw-dropping views all around… Telluride is my kind of town!

Town Park campsite... all towns should have this setup

Telluride looking west

Looking east (different day hence the clouds)


Thursday morning, 9/4 I took T on the gondola.  He was not a fan but as always, justified his name by truly being a trooper.  We got to the top of the mountain and based on the mountain host’s recommendation, hiked Basin Trail.  It was a cloudy day but we enjoyed every minute of it.  It had been a long time since Trooper could be off-leash and hike on trails.  I think the iffy weather kept the crowds hunkered down in the plethora of coffeehouses and bars in town because we had the mountain to ourselves. 

Not a fan but a Trooper!

No escape for the pup

View of Telluride from Gondola

Enjoying off-leash and cool temps

Debating how to avoid the gondola


We continued hiking on Ridge Trail which dropped us into Mountain Village on the other side of the ski area (and appeared to be even more posh than Telluride).  It also lengthened the gondola ride for T, but he did a little better the second time around (after the attendant and I coerced him in).  

Ridge Trail from top of Telluride to Mountain Village

My favorite tree and no shortage of them in Telluride


Back in town, I spent the afternoon chatting with local business owners, getting a haircut (first time in 8 months) and enjoying lunch from Brown Bag.  The locals that I chatted with all agree that Telluride is an awesome place to live but if you’re looking for love or career, it’s the wrong place to be!  I can only imagine the dynamics of 2,500 people tucked away in an isolated canyon.

BLT wrap from a local hot spot, the Brown Bag

Back at camp... a muddy and tired pup


Walking around town, there is no shortage of beautiful flowers giving me a chance to practice macros.







Friday morning, 9/5 Trooper and I hiked to Bridal Veil Falls.  There was a landslide the previous day preventing us from hiking all the way to the falls, but we still enjoyed the view from afar. 

Beautiful mix of aspens and colorful rock along the way

Along with nature's small gifts to brighten the day

Magpies everywhere

Bridal Veil Falls from afar (right)

Closeup of the falls and power plant

View of the ski hill on the way back into town

A little wildlife

More "wildlife"


After walking Trooper for two hours, the clouds gave way to blue skies so I put him in the RV and headed back up the mountain to hike See Forever.  It was 2.8 miles one way, 1700’ elevation gain and reached 12,000’.  It kicked my butt and I enjoyed every steep step!  The views from the top were incredible with one uniquely-colored and shaped mountain next to another for 360 degrees.  


I can only imagine the beauty in winter

Trying to catch the hiker in front of me (bottom left)


Almost to the top
Views of the San Juan Mountains

Made it to the top!

Caught this glider

Spectacular views all around

Made a new friend along the way 

View looking west at the airport and canyon


There is a wine bar at the top but unfortunately closed this time of year.  I looked online later that evening and found out that they are hiring a “wine host” for the winter… perhaps my next income opportunity?  Telluride is a great place and now one of my top places to visit in the winter.  It’s not easy to get to but my guess is that what makes it so special.

My future office?


Final Thoughts
Keep Moving.  When I left Jackson, WY I wasn’t sure where I would spend the next few nights.  Based on conversations with folks, Flaming Gorge and Grand Junction became possible destinations; however, very quickly after arriving at both locations, I knew they weren’t for me so I kept moving forward stumbling on great locations.  Sometimes we’re not in a place or situation that feels right to us.  Simply keep moving until you find that “right” thing.

Thanks for reading and until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment