Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Week 38: Moab to Zion National Park

Week 38 felt like a speed run through three of Southern Utah's National Parks.  With temps in the high 90's and little relief to be found, I had little choice and was simply thrilled to have the little time in such unique beauty.





After leaving Moab Saturday, 9/13 I headed west on highway 70 to highway 24 that would take us to Capital Reef National Park.  I had never actually heard of Capital Reef but a fellow camper in Jackson Hole highly recommended it. 

Shortly after leaving Moab, the terrain quickly changed from red rocks to nothing but neutral tones of white and brown.  The abrupt change was unexpected and amusing, and I realized why Moab was the epicenter for outdoor recreation.  There was nothing mile after mile and I had a moment of uncertainty when I saw a sign on highway 70 that read “No services for 110 miles”.


Somewhere in the middle of the Utah desert

Very different color scheme than the red rock terrain around Moab



Capital Reef National Park, UT
Shortly after Hanksville, UT (not far from the Mars Desert Research Station), splashes of green began speckling the landscape.   Upon entering Capital Reef National Park, I was greeted with beautifully colored spires, rock walls, green vegetation and the Fremont River.  It was a welcomed sight!


A beautiful new color scheme


Since the campground was full, the Visitor Center suggested a National Forest boondocking spot just outside the park’s west entrance.  What a great suggestion!  Trooper and I had an entire area to ourselves with a nice hiking trail, breathtaking sunset, and a free night’s stay.


Not a bad place to call home for the night

And all to ourselves

Can't resist a selfie with this kind of background

Checking things out

Sunset shot of PattyWaggin


The next morning, Sunday 9/14, I wasn’t ready to leave the area and fortunately was able to get a campsite for a few days.  Trooper and I walked around the place known as Fruita.  It is an oasis in the middle of a desert surrounded by historic orchards (maintained by the NPS with 3,000 trees) and the Fremont River.  Even though guests can pick their own fruit, I chose to stop at the Gifford House and buy a homemade mixed berry pie and ice cream for lunch.  It was delicious!


Homemade pie and ice cream for lunch? Absolutely!

The orchards and enormous rock monoliths reminding me of Yosemite


Monday morning, 9/15 I left Trooper in the RV and headed out on what would be a 5-hour hike through Cohab Canyon to Hinkman Bridge, a 133-foot natural bridge.  It was a perfect hiking day with a cool morning, warm sun and clear blue skies.  Hiking through the canyon was a unique experience; the sandy trail made it feel like a stroll on the beach except I was engulfed by warmly colored canyon walls.


Very cool canyon walls

Love the colors

Even Capital Reef has its own "arches"

Hinkman Bridge

A little friend along the way

View of Fruita from the top of Cohab Canyon

Perspective shot of the monolith in comparison to the road

Lonely rain cloud


Bryce National Park, UT
Tuesday, 9/16 was one of the busiest and longest days on my journey.  We left Capital Reef around 8:30 a.m. and headed to Bryce Canyon National Park on highway 12 through beautiful mountains and a white-knuckled ridge drive through Escalante. 


Nothing but a long way down on both sides

Not a great spot for cows to be hanging out

Signs of Fall


Bryce was an interesting mix of evergreens on one side of the park road and red and white spires on the other side.   Despite its name, Bryce Canyon is not a canyon but a collection of natural amphitheaters and hoodoos.  Since the rim of Bryce sits between 8,000 and 9,000 feet, the temps were a cool relief for Trooper and me.


Overlooking Dixie National Forest from Rainbow Point

Rainbow Point, the end of the 18-mile park road

View from Agua Canyon

Agua Canyon looking south

Natural Bridge Overlook

Huge difference across the park road looking west


Zion National Park, UT
After reaching the end of the 18-mile scenic drive through Bryce, I was ready to continue our Southern Utah National Park trek and make our way toward Zion.  The drive on highway 89 was quick and simple.  My plan was to spend a few days in Zion, but when we pulled into the park, it was a scorching 96 degrees and there was no relief to be found.  You will see by the photos that there were few spots to stop, so I literally drove straight through the park snapping photos until I exited on the west side (I do not condone driving and taking photos but I couldn’t go through Zion and not get a few pics).   

Zion appeared to be the most majestic park out of the Southern Utah portfolio with massive rock walls and canyons engulfing you.  Driving through the park was entertaining with tight turns and two tunnels.


Interesting rock formations greeted us into the park

Tight roads

Really tight roads!


At the second tunnel, I was stopped and measured.  I was too wide and had to buy a $15 permit for them to stop traffic so myself and a few tour buses could drive down the center of the tunnel.  


First tunnel - not a problem

Waiting in line at the second tunnel

Driving down the center line (1.1 miles)

Fresh air and beautiful scenery outside second tunnel



After exiting Zion on the west side, I pulled over to get a couple of shots without my buggy windshield in the way.  I was disappointed that I didn’t have more time in Zion but neither Trooper nor I could bear the heat.  And to be honest, I was desperately craving shady trees and cool water… anything but hot, dry red rock.

Very cool park... Southern Utah has A LOT to offer!

I will put this magical place on my list for future travels... in winter


I continued to interstate 15 where I drove as far north as I could before it got too dark.  We made it to a Flying J Truck Stop about one hour south of Salt Lake City in Nephi, UT.  My tour of the Southern Utah National Parks was a lot faster than I expected, but with weather as a primary criterion, I follow Mother Nature’s lead.  Southern Utah is unlike any place I have visited; it’s as if you have traveled to another planet.  I highly recommend a visit to this magical and unique place… just not in Summer!


Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment